The goal of this lab is to develop and optimize certain features of a database engine (especially OLAP operations) in C++, C#, or a JVM based language.
Depending on the first results and individual preferences, the advanced tasks can be chosen individually.Basic content:
- Logical Data Structures, Physical Data/Storage Structures, Buffer Management
- Query Processing and Operators (Projection, Selection, Join, Sort, ...)
- Scheduler, Cost Functions and Query Optimizer
- Performance Measurement and Optimization
Possible extensions depending on individual preferences:
- Data compression
- Inter- and intra-query parallelisation
- Distribution of the query processing and the data on different machines
- Compilation of queries to native code/byte code at runtime
- Index structures
The next meeting (26.05.15, 5pm) will take place in D113!
The next meeting (12.05.15) will take place in D113!
The next meeting (28.04.15) will take place in E203!
The first data example and the slides are online!
Updated page for Summer 2015
Please check the schedule regularly, as we might change things on demand.
|26.05.2015||More operators... and benchmarking|
- Ramakrishnan/Gehrke Database Management Systems - 3rd Edition
RegistrationPlease register via TUCaN and write us an email.
- Programming skills
- Basic understanding of databases
- Willingness to work in a team
The lab will be held in English. All students' presentations and texts can either be in English or German (English preferred).